In this section we take a look “behind the scenes” to see how the weekly edition is put together.
1. The magazine is prepared in advance of the news.
a) Interviews are recorded ‘in the field’ and then edited prior to being transferred to the master recording. From left to right below, Andy (BTNA Roving Reporter) with Jen and Barbara at the Barber Institute of Fine Arts, Andy with Erin and Simon from the Ikon Gallery and Ian with Frances Quinn, Winner of the BBC’s Great British Bake Off 2013 and TV presenters, Matt Baker and Ben Fogle.
b) The magazine team then gets together in the studio for a recording session. On the left John records Jane and Ann and below David is busy editing the recording on computer.
2. On completion of the recording, the master memory stick is copied to provide other masters for the news teams.
3. Memory sticks returned from the listeners are removed from their pouches and then separated.
4. The administration is completed with all the memory sticks marked on the register.
5. The team gathers round the recording table to record this week’s news edition; the readers on one side of the table and the technician on the other. The images show from left to right, South News Team 3, South News Team 4 and South News Team 5.
6. The memory sticks are then copied in readiness for despatch in the pouches
7. The memory sticks are placed in the pouches and then transferred to a mailbag ready to be despatched to the main post office and of course then to the listeners. Our image shows Michelle (left) and Katharine (right) in action.
8. It’s then time for a well earned cup of tea or coffee and biscuits as Chris brews up.
9. The listener then opens his mailbox to find the postman has delivered the weekly pouch from the Talking Newspaper studio.
10. And dashes indoors to listen to this week’s edition!