Please note that audio content may not play via Chrome on Windows platforms at present. Please use Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox instead.
World War Remembrance
In November 2016 Danny Collman compiled a special edition of our Monthly Magazine containing articles about the two World Wars. He starts with a brief roll of honour of BTNA listeners who served in WW2. This is followed by a series of articles featuring people and events related to the two world wars.
• Songs of WW1 and the reason they were written
• The story of Kate Beaufoy the nurse who became a matron in WW1
• The luckiest soldier in WW1
• Belgian and other refugees who came to Britain in WW1
• The story of the poppy and how it came to be adopted as a symbol of the horrors of war
• How the Cenotaph in London came to be built
• A Remembrance Quiz
• How a Czech boy escaped on the kinder transport in WW2
• Memories of a Spitfire pilot
• The story of a lady who made very special adjustments to some of the parachutes she and her colleagues were making
• John Alexander’s story of his Fireman father
• Family letters from Uncle Jack
• A little girl’s memories of D-Day
• Remembrance Quiz Answers
Tribute to Ian MacLaren
David Widney, the Chairman of Birmingham Talking Newspaper, gives a brief tribute to our late Administrator and Magazine Editor, Ian MacLaren.
Visually Impaired Target Shooting
David and Ian visit the home of the 49th Rifle and Pistol Club in Saltley and speak to shooters and volunteer coaches.
Sophie talks to Ian about the loss of her brother to pancreatic cancer and about the charity ‘Team Zeemon’ she set up in his memory.
The Big (& Little) Hoot 2015
Ian takes us on a tour of the city centre to meet some of the owls that are on display in August and September 2015.
Ian talks to Nicki Lupton, Learning and Interpretation Officer at Selly Manor Museum, who tells us about her work and the Museum, part of Bournville Village Trust.
Bournville Village Trust
Ian visits Bournville Village Trust and talks to the Chief Executive Officer, Peter Roach.
Birmingham Hospital Broadcasting Network (BHBN)
Ian talked to Anita Shah and Dave Horton, both directors and presenters of this Birmingham charity.
Ian talked to Shazia Begum, the Community Development Manager of this Birmingham based charity.
Calibre Audio Library
Ian’s interview with James Beston, the Events and Communications Officer of Calibre Audio Library
Birmingham Cathedral’s 300th Anniversary
Ian’s interview with Very. Rev. Catherine Ogle, Dean of Birmingham Cathedral. It is the 300th anniversary of the Cathedral’s consecration this year.
Ian interviews Ben Fogle at the Camping, Caravanning and Motorhome Show at the NEC.
Ian interviews Matt Baker at the Camping, Caravanning and Motorhome Show at the NEC.
New Guide Dog User
One of our listeners, Mohammed Rashid, took on a Guide Dog last August which is quite a thing in the Asian community. This interview is his story.
Valuable information from PC Gary Stack of West Midlands Police
Valuable information on what frauds are taking place and how to avoid them from DPC Mark Calvert of West Midlands Police.